Saturday, January 25, 2014

Spiritual Sunday: My Faith Journey Part 2


You can read PART 1 HERE

Now that brings us forward to February 2012.  I had become close friends with one of my coworkers who is Catholic.  I would ask her questions about the faith all the time and she would tell me how much she loved it and would debunk all those catholic myths for me. One day she invited me to a women's day of reflection at her church on the following Saturday. That day I was changed.

I really think my heart was touched by the Holy Spirit.  There were so many times during that day I fought back tears.  I felt God calling me to Him, I felt incomplete without Him in my life, my heart was full of His love.

The following Sunday we went to that Catholic church and I just remember feeling how much I belonged and how I wanted to be part of that church family.  Each week we returned to that church and each week I felt more at home. 

I decided I wanted to become Catholic for many reasons.  First, it is was God was calling me to do.  Second, we weren't doign a very good job of laying a good religious foundation for MJ because we weren't one (religiously speaking).  Finally, the teachings and practices feel right to me.

I expressed my feelings of becoming Catholic to my coworker turned good friend.  She sent me information on what I needed to do. I will admit that I was slightly worried about what my parents would say about me leaving the Lutheran church.  When I told them, they were just happy that I still believed in God and was going to church.

I began RCIA classes in August of 2012.  For 8 months I spent my Monday nights a the church with a group of others like me and soaked up as much information as I could. My friend attended each week with me and sponsored me through the RCIA program.  I was confirmed Catholic at the Easter 2013 vigil and it was such a beautiful moment in my life. 

That brings us forward to today.  We go to church regularly and are involved with our church community as much as possible.  When I sit in the pew I don't feel like I am surrounded by strangers, I feel like I am with family. 

I try to live a Christian life with God at the forefront of my thoughts.  I don't always succeed because I am not perfect but I am trying to be better.  I do my best to live by the "golden rule" and not pass judgment on others but I stumble from time to time as we all do.  At the end of the day we are all His children and deserve to be treated as such with love and respect.

Until next time,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment