Saturday, January 18, 2014

Spiritual Sunday: My Faith Journey Part 1

This is a new series I am starting that will be posted each Sunday.  This week I want to start with the begining of my faith journey.

It has taken me a while to write this because I wasn't sure how/where to start.  My spiritual journey really began in February 2012.  But in order to tell that story I have to go back to the begining. 

I was born and baptized Lutheran.  My mother took us to church every Sunday, it was part of our weekly routine.  Of course I believed in God and wanted to go to heaven but we didn't have God in our lives the other 6 days of the week really.  In the summer of 1996 my parents separated which eventually lead to their divorce.  I was so angry, I couldn't understand how God could let this happen to me.  I rebelled in so many ways and I decided I hated God.  I stopped going to church with my family and decided that I just might not believe in God anymore.

After some counseling and letting go of some of my anger I let God back in.  I decided I wanted to complete my catechism classes and be confirmed in the Lutheran church.  I started attending church again but God was still more of a routine rather than a critical part of my life.

Flash forward to 2005, Brent (Catholic) and I got married.  I was very against converting to Catholicism and told him I never would convert and respected that he would never convert to the Lutheran church either.  We were divided, religiously speaking.  During this time we went to a little Lutheran church sporadically and I prayed here and there but I didn't feel that constant need for God in my heart.  My faith really diminished over the next few years. 

After having Madelynn in December 2008 I contacted that little Lutheran church and she was baptized.  Again our church attendance was spotty.  I felt like everytime I went I missed the message because I was taking care of Madelynn (not blaming her) the whole time or someone would point out that they hadn't seen us in a while so I quit going altogether. 

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment