Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Have you considered weight loss surgery?

This is a questions that I have been asked countless times.  Every time I am asked this the only answer I really want to supply is, DUH! However, there are reasons why weight loss surgery is not right for me.

1.  It is MAJOR surgery.  I think many people assume that weight loss surgery is the "easy" way out.  Um no.  There are so many risks involved with surgery and anesthesia that frankly scare the hell out of me.  Plus then you have to add in recovery time.  No thanks.

2.  I cannot imagine never being able to eat certain foods (breads) ever again because they cause clogging or discomfort.  I know that I have to remove emotional attachment to food but I am not sure I can picture not eating a little bit of cake on my birthday.

3. Weight loss surgery is an absolute last option for me.  I can only allow myself to choose this route if I have really committed and worked on weight loss and it wasn't working.  I know I can do it when I really dedicate my effort to it.

With this said, I am not saying that weight loss surgery isn't right for others nor am I trying to make it seem like an easy way out.  People have many reasons why they choose that route and I am not judging.  We all choose different pathways to get to our health and fitness goals and that is OK.

What are your thoughts on this?

4 comments:

  1. I've checked into it before and my insurance doesn't cover it at all. And I sure can't afford to pay for it!
    But then I thought if I am restricted to what I can eat after the surgery, then what's the difference if I restrict myself without surgery? I changed my mind and would rather do it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was insulted when my doctor suggested it. I was barely 200 lbs. (sure on a 5 ft. 2 in. frame, but still!) I went NGNS-5 (no grains, no sugar, with 5% wiggle room)...my own creation that is based on primal. (LOL) I lost 66 lbs. last year, 3 lbs. this year, and am 1 month away from my one year anniversary of attaining a 'maintenance' weight. The thing about weight loss surgery is...if you don't stop your bad habits, the weight will be regained. I know MANY who have regained after weight loss surgery. It's so sad. Definitely make it a last resort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% with you. Not for me but maybe some could benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree 100%. In fact what spurred my lifestyle change on was the fact that my ob/gyn suggested it to me. He even wrote it down on a sticky note and I still have it to this day. I know it's the right option for many people, but for me, I knew the problem was just that I was lazy and not willing to try (up until that point). But at the same time, I knew that if he was actively suggesting that I do it, I needed to really take a hard, hard look at myself and I realized that it was time to change right then and there.

    ReplyDelete